Learn about the costs of digital signage
CDWG is IU's preferred partner for digital signage hardware. A CDW representative can assist in purchasing:
- A standard or touch screen computer display.
- Small form-factor computer.*
- Mounting hardware and accessories needed for PC and connections to IU network.
*Smart TVs and Tablet PCs can also be used as digital signage but may need to be sourced from an alternative vendor.Digital signage hardware options at CDW
Work with IU Purchasing to order the hardware. All hardware ordering instructions are posted on the Purchasing website.
To calulate the total cost of a digital signage installation, sum the amounts of these components:
- PC, Smart TV or Tablet PC
- Monitor/Display (not needed for Smart TV or tablet)
- Mounting hardware for monitor/display
- Physical plant installation/mounting
- Network hardware, power outlets, cables and/or accessories (if needed)
- Annual software license
The Bloomington campus hires installations in-house from Facilities Operations. Most other campuses hire installation services from outside vendors. Purchasing and Capital Projects will coordinate those efforts. Installation costs may vary and can include adding power and network connections, wall build out, etc.
The annual fee per computer is $160.
This fee covers the license for the software used to run the signs as well as technical support and system maintenance charges.
IU units should also factor in staff time required to:
- Learn the software
- Continue to update content on digital signs
- Provide technical support for hardware, software, and content publishers. A single technical contact from each unit should be designated to work with the IU digital signage support team.
IU units should also budget to replace the digital signage hardware.
Computers should be replaced every three to four years, TVs/LCDs every five to seven years.